Little by little

Post Progress on Your Build

Little by little

Postby Snipester117 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Hey TxFSJA, it be me, here's my truck, after a couple of years sitting under the shade. I'll update pics as i go along, so bear with me, the truck wont be in misery very much longer.

CHECK THE PICS AT http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o398/Snipester117/Jeep%20J-10/
Last edited by Snipester117 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Snipester117

Re: Little by little

Postby Murphy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:02 pm

All of that stuff is plenty fixable. You will love it when you fix it up. Put it on lock-down so your dad can't take it back. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the addiction.
Murphy

Postby Snipester117 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:53 pm

there's no doubt that i love it now, and i've got contacts here and there to get major items fixed, ill be doing most of the work, so its just up to me to get it in motion. (not to mention get it here)
Snipester117

Postby Snipester117 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Is there anyone who knows if you could fit a 351 V8 Ford motor(bosh, motorsport? i don't know) in a J-10, thought it would be a good idea to ask before i get one, or would keeping the striaght six in there be better?
Snipester117

Postby Lindel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:43 am

It should physically fit, but you'll have to make some "adjustments" in the radiator area to cool the Ford. Are you talking Cleveland or Windsor?

The Ford will make good power, but the 258 is a good engine. Which transmission have you got?
Lindel
Gear Head
Gear Head

Postby Snipester117 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:01 am

i don't know what transmission the Windsor has, more than like geared for speed, but 351 trans should more than be able to provide the tongue and power the J-10 needs, no?, the guy is selling it said it was completely rebuilt, and that the trans on it is a 6-speed (standard of course), the whole entire engine (if i keep the straight 6 in it) has to be rebuilt, new trans and everything. The truck took a couple of hard hits when it was playing in the Rockies a long, long time ago, and the motor mounts broke, and the engine fell on the axle, and was never fixed, got to love the drive shafts Jeep used to handle that kind of abuse.
Snipester117

Postby Lindel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm sure the 351 and tranny will be more than up to it. I was thinking more of the changes you'll have to make to the jeep.

Make sure you get any computer/electronic controls for the engine and transmission, since it sounds like you're going to use a late model engine/transmission.
Lindel
Gear Head
Gear Head

Postby Snipester117 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been checking up on you guys, its been a pretty busy around here. I just wanted to post and let you know that i finally got my truck here to Texas, its sitting under the carport getting ready to get looked over by mechanic friend of mine, and hopefully work begins from there (i guess that makes it official). I still cant believe the thing still turns over after all these years. (it wont start of course, bad spark plugs and gas)
Does anyone live near the friendswood/ dickinson area? I saw a j-10 sitting in the work bay at hi-tech the other day, and a entirely primered j20(?) on the way to league city from dickinson.

here's some picture updates (not much done, XD) at: http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o398/Snipester117/Jeep%20J-10/
Snipester117

Postby Elliott » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 am

Are you trying to get the 258 running?
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Snipester117 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Yes to previous entry

Hey guys, its me yet again, i am pretty close to getting my truck drivable, granted it wont be making any trips down to Galveston, (a 30 min drive using IH-45) but for around town it'll get me around for my daily driver. Still some minor issues that need to be fixed on it though, spark plugs and wires, those annoying vacuum leaks, need to rebuild 2 carburetors, and replace a couple electronics (dash). So it'll get done as i go along, maybe this time next year, ill be able to take it trailing with some of you folks in the hill-country. :biggrin:
Snipester117

Postby Landon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, mine's got the rust on the bed sides too, how do you go after it, should I just start grinding on it until it's gone, keep it dry, and POR15 when it's mostly gone, then fiberglass it?
I've seen some success stories, but it involves new fabbed sheetmetal.

- Landon
Landon
ShadeTree Mechanic
ShadeTree Mechanic

Postby Snipester117 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Ya, thanks Landon, i've seen the fiberglass horrors. My uncle is in the process of getting welding equipment, hopefully we're going to tackle the body and interior when school lets up. If you guys need any work done when we get the stuff, or even now; feel free to drop by, the carport has 2 slots free, and plus, you could help me with my stuff!
The bed is just regular 1/8in steel sheeting right?
Snipester117

Postby Landon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:48 pm

uh, 1/8 thk might be a bit heavy. I think 16 guage would be plenty.

Here's what one capable person did.... http://community.webshots.com/user/proj96xj scroll down to J-Truck body work.

He's been thinking about fabbing them for sale.

- Landon
Landon
ShadeTree Mechanic
ShadeTree Mechanic

Postby Snipester117 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:44 pm

That's brilliant, he does that work on the side, or is this a profession?
Snipester117

Postby Landon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 pm

He was just thinking about a business that would stock/mfr unobtainable parts for these trucks. some of the items mentioned were a receiver hitch, the felt channel that goes behind the front door vent window, and the bedside panels. If anyone is interested, I'll ask him to post some thoughts on this or more.

- Landon
Landon
ShadeTree Mechanic
ShadeTree Mechanic

Next

Return to Builder's Bay