Who's gonna build a second PS pump mount for Hydroboost?

FSJ Off-Roading Tech Discussions

Re: Who's gonna build a second PS pump mount for Hydroboost?

Postby Elliott » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:49 pm

Test fitting height of bracket mount. This locates off the top radiator bolt hole. To improve clearance with the pulley you can see in later pics how I moved the bracket behind the core support and spaced it back with a 3/8x3/4" bushing. I think it would be stronger if I used heavy wall 1" square tube to space it with rather than a bushing as the core support material is not all that thick and minimizing vibration would be to my advantage in the long run.

Plenty of hood clearance here:

Here's a pic of the bracket drilled to fit the Appleton cooler/reservoir/filter. If you are going to use a PSC reservoir you will want to make this wider to fit their wider mount and also note that it will locate differently on the core support as PSC reservoir holder slides up and down the reservoir for height adjustment and it also has a separate 90* bracket that forms the actual mount:

All these pics are taken in a rig without body lift. If you have body lift the fit is even better.

Image Image

If you use a reservoir other than the Appleton that has the filter at the bottom you may be able to mount a radiator overflow tank directly beneath the reservoir.
Image Image Image

In this pic you can see how I have a socket wrench engaged in the notch on the forward pump bracket used for belt tightening:

Image Image

Now, as I used the space where the radiator overflow tank was I'll get a 3" x 8" stainless one from Summit and put it back on the firewall on the driver's side.
Last edited by Elliott on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:09 am

As far as fitting a return hose from a reservoir like the Appleton that has a 10AN fitting, that fitting has 1/2" NPT thread so you can avoid the cost of custom hoses simply buy a 1/2"npt x 5/8" hose nipple from Summit Racing (#SUM-G09630) for $9.95 and then use stock GM 5/8" ID return hose from hydroboosted dually truck or an Astro van. Just cut the end that has the 90* on it and that should work if you are locating your reservoir off the core support like this.

Now, PSC recommends not locating your reservoir further than 16" from the pump due to the drain back of the return line not keeping up with the pump (in reference to systems where the HB is run off the same pump as the steering and steering assist).
Howe Performance recommends no further than 24" with the same size return hose http://www.howeperformance.com/pdfs/hyd ... -ended.pdf
Last edited by Elliott on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:57 am

Howe Performance has a nice variety of remote reservoirs with and without filters: http://www.howeperformance.com/accessor ... rvoirs.htm
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:08 pm

I'll have some more info on fittings for the hydraulics here shortly. I just ordered some stuff and so I'll do up some pics of what fits where, where to get what and about what it will cost you.

Essentially what you need is:

At the pump
Cap the return nipple and clamp it using a rubber cap, something like for vacuum fittings should work well.
On the pressure out port you need a 16 x 1.5mm o-ring to -6AN fitting (straight). If you buy it steel instead of aluminum it's going to run about $8.71 for the fitting at http://www.sweetperformance.com

At the hydroboost
Buy steel fittings (~$24. on ebay) and these will be 18 x 1.5mm o-ring to -6AN fitting (straight) for the pressure in, 16 x 1.5mm o-ring to -6AN fitting (straight) for the pressure out, and a female JIC x male JIC Boss adaptor (in 37*) Hose and Fittings part #6400-04-02 (this will give you the o-ring fitting on the HB side and threads are 5/16-24 at the HB and -6AN at the hose side). If you buy the return adaptor separately at http://www.Hoseandfittings.com you need to check that the hole in the HB side is the same as the hole in the nipple you took off the HB or you will need to drill it to match (it will be ~$4.80).

At the reservoir
If you want to use GM 5/8" return hose to save on fittings then remove the -10AN fitting from your reservoir and install the 1/2"NPT x 5/8" hose nipple listed previously, available at Summit Racing, and run 5/8 hose to the HB using hose clamps. The alternative is to use -10AN fittings and hose available from http://www.pscmotorsports.com.
For the return line I'm installing a -6AN Male Flare x 1.4" NPT Male Tee On Run fitting after pulling the '6AN fitting out of my Appleton. This fitting is available at http://www.sweetperformance.com (might have to call them, but I'll post the part # if I get it on my invoice) for $9.08. If I'm not mistaken they only had it in aluminum. The straight pass through of the Tee fitting ("On Run") is -AN6 at one end for the return from the pressure out on the HB and is 1/4" NPT at the other end I'll screw into the reservoir. The Tee off the 90* is -6AN for the return from the hydroboost. If you buy a reservoir with three ports then great, just use each one accordingly... but I have the Appleton so I'm Tee'ing these two lines.

Hose fittings
I will probably be editing this and I'll give you lengths needed later but as far as fittings and hoses I'm planning to buy those from http://www.pscmotorsports.com I plan to use all reusable fittings and these will be either H53 (45*), H52 (90*), or H51 (straight) and cost about $11.00 each at PSC.
The pump will get a H52 (90*).
The HB will get three H52 (90*).
The reservoir will get one H51 (straight) and one H52 (90*).

Hose
There are various places to source hose. Because they are down the road from me I'll use PSC.
H50, (-6AN) 3/8" ID pressure hose = $4./ft.
H25, (-6AN) 3/8" ID low pressure hose (HB return) = $2.30/ft.
H24, (-10AN) 5/8" ID low pressure hose (reservoir return) = $3.50/ft.

Now, you can source some cool looking 5/8" (-10AN) hose if black bores your, I've seen it available in blue. Search for it as push lock hose. Again, Howe Performance sells a variety of hoses as well.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:34 pm

First run, first set sold... here's the Christmas brackets:

Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:18 am

How to plumb the system...

Thanks to Michael who has installed a second pump on his Wagoneer he sorted out some heating problems as a result of turbulence in the system when the pressure out port on the HB was simply plugged. He got with PSC and worked out how to route the lines. Ideally you want three bungs on your remote reservoir so you can have all separate lines, since he'd already bought one from PSC with only two bungs he routed the return line into a Tee fitting the pressure out line uses at the second bung (pressure out is on run, return is at 90*). This worked in his system and because I already bought a Appleton unit it's how I'll route mine as well. ***Note you could just run the HB low pressure return straight to the pump can nipple rather than using a Tee at the reservoir, whether or not your reservoir has two AN-6 port fittings or not.
If anyone has some cool software they want to use to rework this diagram please feel free. If I say to buy your reservoir, lines, and steering assist cylinder from PSC perhaps they won't mind me using their diagram. These guys are local and have great products so check out their site.

Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Ok, update.... guys have been asking if they can use these brackets to lower their PS pump and just run the one pump. The answer is yes/no. Yes if you are using a round can pump set up for remote reservoir and you found out you couldn't get your reservoir high enough to feed your pump in the OEM location. No if you are trying to put a ham can pump in the lower position. I tried this today and it could be done if I reworked three of the four brackets which I'm not sure I want to do at this point for two reasons. 1) If I invested in a parts run of brackets to do this with the ham can I'm not sure that there is going to be clearance between the pulley and inner fender on rigs like CJ's because this requires me to move the whole pump towards the fender and it requires a longer belt which I don't know if there is one in that length. 2) It would be so much simpler if whoever wanted to do this just sourced a round can reservoir for their pump and used the brackets I already which we know works and uses the stock belt and has good clearance.

Now, if enough guys bug me I'll mock something up to see if it would have the clearance and maybe I'd sell two different sets of brackets. But really.... it only takes pulling the pressure relief valve and two studs to get a round can reservoir... or just ask me to get you a pump, I have two right now I could sell you.

Ok, remember the pics where I showed you what kind of studs you want in the back of your pump? Here is apic of the AMC studs which are pretty long and there was a space in the threading on the early (Std) studs so it took some washers to take up the space. There are other Std studs you could use I 'm sure, GM are shorter and I've seen them on line for $6.00 each.

Now, note here that the pump is hitting on the aluminum bracket and I have no more freeplay in the adjuster bar, it's maxed and would require lengthening to run two ham cans. Also note the location of the return nipple... I had to drill a hole in the rear pump bracket to fit it over the AMC nipple:

Here you can see the adjuster bar maxed out. If I lengthen that it will need another belt size and it's going to move the pulley closer to the inner fenderwell. Another issue with this was that because of the large crimp on the ham can I had to beat it down a little bit where the spacers on the pivot bolt hit so I could get the bolt to go through the hole in the rear bracket. If I build another set of brackets I'm going to have to move the pump out at that point also, losing more clearance. I'm hoping you guys see the benefit of the round can reservoir here, stock belt, more clearance but you do need to buy a remote reservoir... so if you want the brackets I'll make 'em so the work for you with the ham can down low.

Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dmntxn77 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Nice work Elliott!
Dmntxn77
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Elliott » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:37 am

Thank you sir! Finally got something sorted for my '65 truck. This had been on the back burner and bugging me for a long time.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dmntxn77 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Maybe when I get extra money again, I will bring my Chief down and we can set this all up with my hydroboost and hydroassist...
Dmntxn77
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Elliott » Sat May 15, 2010 7:26 am

Ready when you are!
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cartman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Would this setup also work well for a ram assist? Not sure what kind of flow the astro pump produces. Also for us junkyard mongers what year range pump do the brackets fit?

I don't really like the idea of adding a rezzy/cooler for both the HB and ram assist. If the astro pump will run a J20 box + 2x8 then I have no problems. Saginaw pump would then be dedicated to HB

I also noticed that sweet performance has the hydroboost fittings as a kit now
http://www.sweetperformance.com/product ... ductId=489

A little OT - what are guys doing with the saginaw pumps to facilitate a rez? The factory AMC mount is terrible and not very easy to work with due to it being so close to the hood; unless it doesn't really matter due to the return line being able to travel "uphill"

Thanks in advance, trying to get all of my research done before buying more parts :biggrin:
Cartman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Elliott » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:31 pm

I sorted this specifically to operate the ps assist in conjunction with HB so yes it will work for that. I'd run the assist off the primary pump and designate the second pump just for the HB. I think you'd want the steering fully synchronized by running both aspects off the same pump. If the HB has any weak spot it is in the lowest rpm range when sending the fluid in two different directions so keeping a pump designated to it completely eliminates any flat spots you might ever experience... IMO.

Put a cooler in the steering system and the remote res for the HB pump, or eliminate the cooler in the ps system.

On the primary res, you have to stick with the stock res on a AMC V8 but that is all you need. You can't get the system to work correctly otherwise.... unless you build a remote res to fit along the top of the firewall as that is the only place it might be high enough and I don't like the looks of that on the AMC either. Yes the mount places the pump high but that is exactly what is permiting fitting the second pump for a better system.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby warhammercustoms » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:22 pm

are you still selling these?
warhammercustoms
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Elliott » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm

warhammercustoms wrote:are you still selling these?

Yes, they are still listed in the vendor section.
Elliott
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Road FSJ Tech