'70 J3000 Flat bed, Australia J34061205Z

Vehicles In The Registry

'70 J3000 Flat bed, Australia J34061205Z

Postby Elliott » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:22 pm

VIN # J34061205Z
Build Date 8/70
360/TH400 (originally 230/3sp from the factory in Australia)
PTO

Owner Comments: "J series are like hens teeth here.. this ones a 3406Z... 360 eng auto (of course) 4WD and factory fitted with a 9000 lb winch...in a fair sad state but great restoration project. These pics were taken when I looked her over. Fair bit of rust but otherwise seems OK... anyway... very few left down here... she was one of about 30 bought in the very late 60s for the State Govt Forestry people... hence the winch..." "Yep its a 360 for sure...the tranny has me stuffed...its auto and Dana...but either some klutz has taken the push buttons off the dash and installed a floor shift (remarkably like a Ford) or it came out that way...there is a plate on drivers right that would fit the push button change but its been filled with an aftermarket oil pressure guage."

"Found a bloke who worked for Willys Aust from 1962 to end of kaiser era (about 1975). Mine was built in OZ (he ran the serial and the engine numbers against his records) and then I had a mate in Transport registery run those to get some registration info. BUT, was originally a column shift behind a 6 cyl Tornado and the eng no on the 360 says it a 79/80 Cherokee as is the trannie. Obviously a transplant, but a damn good one!!! Interestingly he said that the practice then (1980) with TH400s was to use the Aust R series valiant vacuum controls to give "push button auto" on the dash. Hence the vac lines (cut off) in mine and the MT space which was actually for the Heater control fascia / levers. (long gone)"

Pics are pre and post restoration:

Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Vehicles