J20 project

General Discussions for FSJ Related Topics

J20 project

Postby YeeperLover » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:04 pm

New to this forum, but love my Jeeps. Currently in San Antonio.

I am on the beginning end of restoring a 72 J20, and am need of some parts.

The previous owner for whatever reason, decided to move the fuel tank to inside the bed, behind the cab, and enclose it in plywood, kinda scary actually. So I am looking for a stock fuel tank, as well as the straps to hold it in place.

Any suggestions on wiring harness? Painless Wiring seems to be pretty decent unless someone has a better suggestion. As you can see from the cluster under the hood, that is pretty much my starting point....

Also need a rear bumper, so any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Attachments
DSC00393.JPG
My cluster under the hood
DSC00392.JPG
My cluster under the hood
DSC00391.JPG
Inside that plywood is the fuel tank......
DSC00389.JPG
YeeperLover
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Re: J20 project

Postby rreed » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Looks like a decent starter project! Might investigate an open knuckle front axle if that one is closed w/ drum brakes, I don't recall when they started w/ those (what year).

Summit Racing has their own brand name generic wiring kits for a lot less than the Painless kits that I'm considering for my '47 CJ2a. Probably wouldn't be a tremendous amount different from yours? Is it still inline fused or does it have a fuse box? Like the open/closed knuckle, I was thinking the break was 72-73 but don't recall for sure.

And yes, that fuel tank "solution" is frightening. You really have to wonder what the hell some people are thinking, if anything.
rreed

Re: J20 project

Postby Elliott » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:48 pm

I may still have a early tank in my shop. I know I have at least one strap...
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FSJ Discussions