1980 Jeep J10 Honcho Restoration

General Discussions for FSJ Related Topics

1980 Jeep J10 Honcho Restoration

Postby WHSII » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Hello TEXAS!! WH from Central Kentucky here.

Hope you will help out a Kentucky Brother in need of all the help he can get.

I am restoring my Dad's last truck, a 1980 Jeep J10 Honcho. He bought it new when he was almost 70. He wanted a standard truck like his 62 Willies, step side, and the 1966 (Willies or Kaiser?) (which I learned to drive on)then the 1970 Gladiator, which I drove for many years after he got this truck. (I have had several Grand Wagoners and Grand Cherokees since.)

Dad wanted a Step side, 6 cylinder, three speed standard truck. He got a Honcho, with slotted wheels, fat tires, roll bar, and stripes plus it was 3 speed Automatic. He threw a fit! He got them to take off the tires, and put J78's on it, (speedometer has never been right.) They would not do anything about the wheels or the roll bar, but when the went in to pick it up, they were putting the Honcho stripes on it, he really went off. They finally took them off. Dad was a coal miner for 46 years, he had a way of getting his point across... He hated the auto tx at first, but was glad to have it in later years.

Yea it is a Jeep thing...

The frame on the J10 is totally gone, West Virginia salt killed it. I found a Donner Truck with a good frame, and started the 2nd of February "Restoring Dad's Jeep" I am stripping everything to bare metal, coating it with a urethane sealer, two coats, and then either top coating the inside, or underside with a urethane, or spraying a sand-able primmer on the to be colored areas. The plan it to be bone stock when I finish, as it rolled of the showroom.

If I did it correctly, I have included a link to a picture diary that I am keeping on weekly basis. I do try to update it when I finish a section. So far, I have the front clip complete, including inner fenders and braces, have the doors totally stripped and ready to seal, as well as the tail gate, door hinges and a bunch of brackets. I am trying to get everything in primmer and will try to spray a coat of color on all before assembly, then second coat after all parts are in place. I have no problems with the mechanical parts, have been a flat rate mechanic for Chrysler several years back. Learning body work as I go. Need help with the little things that only a Jeep person would know!

My Mom is 92 years old, she went with Dad to pick up the Jeep, she is thrilled that I am restoring it...

I do appreciate any input!

Thanks,

WH
http://picasaweb.google.com/BBQ.WartHog/JeepJ10Honcho#
WH
2004 Grand Cherokee
1994 Grand Cherokee
1980 Jeep J10 Honcho, in restoration
Learned to drive on a 1964 Willy's Truck
WHSII

Re: 1980 Jeep J10 Honcho Restoration

Postby Murphy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:57 pm

That is a nice project you have going. Don't be shy about posting a thread in the build section with a few pics to document your restoration as you go. There are some pretty sharp guys in here than may be able to help with the trouble spots as they come up.

Welcome to the forum
Murphy

Postby WHSII » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks Wave Hunter,

I included a link to an ongoing, weekly or so update of pictures of the project.

I added it again just in case I did not do it right the first time...

I do appreciate any comments or help from any and all, I do not know a lot about the body work, (but I am learning) I cannot wait until I can start putting it back together, the mechanical part is more my speed.

I do want to keep it bone stock, with a minor change here and there. First change, the 84 J10 that is my parts truck, frame doaner, has an inside hood release. I will add it to the 1980, but keep the parts to put it back original.

If the link works, click the slide show button it the upper left corner above the first picture, and it will run through them all.

Let me know if the link does not work.

I am keeping a detailed log of cost and time, It's kind of boring reading, but it chronicles the complete project.

Thanks Sir, I appreciate your response.
WH
WH
2004 Grand Cherokee
1994 Grand Cherokee
WHSII

Postby Murphy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:27 pm

The link was functioning before, but I was having trouble with that site pulling up the images. It is working better now, it must have been overloaded when I tried it before.

Here is a quick pic for everyone else.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. This is a small community of FSJ'ers so it may take a little while to get a response from these guys. :biggrin: :stirpot:
Murphy

Postby WHSII » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks Wave Hunter,

You picked a really good picture to post on the Texas FSJ sight...

You can see my smoker behind the J10, ribs and brisket for all!

WH
WH
2004 Grand Cherokee
1994 Grand Cherokee
WHSII

Postby armandjones82 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:42 am

I think that having this kind of vehicle sure is nice to have. It would be compensated better with some good brand parts like bully and others in order to really compensate the needs for that vehicle. In that way, things shall be well. Hope that the restoration is currently giving you some good benefits.
armandjones82
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to General FSJ Discussions