J20 build...from the beginning

Post Progress on Your Build

J20 build...from the beginning

Postby j20brett » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 am

Well since i am slowly building this pig, i might as well start a thread.

From the beginning when it was stock

To a new grill, front bumper, lift, tires, and wheels

Cut the fenders for the first k-rocks run, and built a skid plate...it started a chain reaction of mods

After thrashing the bed pretty good at k-rocks and Gilmer, it was time for some drastic changes. I hated how long it was and the lack of traction i was getting. So i got an aussie locker for the front and took 18" out of the frame in the rear, ditched the bed, and built a nice flatbed for it. I had to relocate the gas tank, so i made a cradle out of quarter inch plate and bolted it up to my 4x4x.25 rear crossmember. I also built some have doors for better visibility. The bench seat was pretty crappy also, so i picked up some suspension seats also.

About this time the transmission was leaking so bad that i bit the bullet and had it rebuilt.

And had the yokes milled to accept 3x3 square tube for the rear driveshaft

And here she is in here current state, without the new front shocks and mounts in this pic.

On to the new stuff, new rear diff cover and heims for highsteer

This is what motor mounts are supposed to look like

Not like this :shock:

There is no telling how long they have been like that. I noticed a crack forming in the trans housing, and i already had the new poly motor mounts so i went ahead and changed them. Caught it just in time. I think that adding the fail-safe hook to the mounts was one thing jeep actually did right the first time. 2 hours and a few cuss words later and all is well...i hope.

This weekend i will be fabbing a rear cage and finally adding the sliders i built about 6 months ago

To be continued...

I also bought a CB the other day ...anyone know how to tune one?
j20brett
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Re: J20 build...from the beginning

Postby Murphy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Nice build thread Brett! :cool:
Murphy

Postby j20brett » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks! I would have shown the images in the thread, but mine are already downsized to 800x600, and im way too lazy to bring it all down again lol
j20brett
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Postby j20brett » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 am

This weekends work. Cage half welded out. Will pull off tomorrow and finish it and paint it. Sliders are welded out and painted. Will weld on tomorrow. Tuesday night i will make the shock mounts. On to the pics

j20brett
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Postby Larry » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:21 pm

j20brett wrote:Thanks! I would have shown the images in the thread, but mine are already downsized to 800x600, and im way too lazy to bring it all down again lol

Gotcha covered. I didn't like the smaller pic limits either.....so I enlarged the forum and fixed your posts. Sorry ppl with 800px monitors.

Let me know when you finish with this thread Brett and I'll archive it or something.
Larry
Master Mechanic
Master Mechanic

Postby Lindel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:50 am

It's looking good Brett!

Anyone that still has a 800x600 monitor deserves what they get!! :shock:
Lindel
Gear Head
Gear Head

Postby YJ-4BT » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 am

So Brett...I didn't get a chance to ask you this at Katemcy. How big was the difference in off-roadability between this time and the first time you went to Katemcy. Night and Day I'm sure. :thumbsup: (Oh yeah...this is Chris, I just joined this site and have a different name!) :biggrin:
YJ-4BT
ShadeTree Mechanic
ShadeTree Mechanic

Postby j20brett » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:47 pm

The difference was #1 i have learned ALOT since then, #2 its just flat out more capable!
j20brett
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Return to Builder's Bay